Considerations When Buying Lake Norman Lakefront Property
Lakefront homes fit a particular lifestyle choice that is incredibly exciting for many people. However, when you are pursuing a property you really want it is more important than ever to think rationally. You can have a lakefront lifestyle, but you need to be aware of all the considerations that go into purchasing a lakefront property. Buying a lakefront home is very different on a number of levels compared to your traditional purchase. It is important to understand these differences before making the leap into lakefront living.
All things being equal homes located on a lake are typically more valuable than homes that aren’t. While your initial expense will be greater, the potential for greater appreciation is common with a lakefront home. When the real estate market drops lakefront property also tend to keep more of their value. What you should know however when buying a lakefront property is far more involved than your typical home. What you need to think about when buying a lake house is fairly involved.
When living on a lake you one of things you will want to take into consideration is the orientation to the sun and how it sets. Does the home get morning or afternoon sun? If you are getting afternoon sun does the deck have any sun protection? How do the winds coming off the lake effect both your enjoyment of the property and the heating costs?
Lakes can vary considerably, meaning one lake might be perfect for you while another is completely undesirable. You do not want to discover that the lake you bought a home on is nothing like what you want. Find out as much information as you can about the lake. Here are some excellent questions to ask when considering buying a lakefront home.
- How busy is the lake during each season?
- What recreational opportunities are available on the lake? Kayaking, boating, fishing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, water skiing, waterfowl hunting? Some lakes are better suited than others for specific types of activities.
- Does the lake maintain it’s water level or go up and down with the seasons?
- Does the lake flood?
- Are you required to carry flood insurance?
- If you boat, how easy is it to get your boat in and out of the lake? Are you allowed to have a dock right off of your house, or is it OK to travel around the lake for an access point?
- Are there any specific things that are not allowed on the lake?
- Are you on a drought resistant cove?
- Can your cove be dredged?
- Are there any low lying bridges?
- How big can your pier/dock area be? Can it have a covered area?
- How close are you to modern conveniences?
- Doe your lot allow for a dock or pier?
Hire a Realtor You Can Trust
Whether buying or selling a lake front home you want to work with a Realtor that understands the complexities of selling a home on a lake. Avoid picking a real estate agent randomly when you want to buy a lakefront home. Interview agents to find out how well they do at finding lakefront homes that satisfy their clients.
You want a person on your side that can find you a good home within your budget – a home you can enjoy for decades. Lakefront homes are naturally more challenging to find at a good price due to higher demand. With the right agent, the search becomes easier and you are more likely to get a good deal on a house. This is more than worth the commission an agent will charge for his or her help.
Stunning Waterfront home in The Point with brand new Pool installed in 2022! Enjoy lake living at it's best in this 5,835 sq ft home on three levels overlooking Lake Norman, your own beach and new pool with hot tub & travertine patio. The lake fun continues with deeded boat slip steps away in Pier 'O'. Gourmet kitchen for those who love to cook has Viking range and Viking wall-oven with new Quartz counter tops. The kitchen has entrance to covered screen balcony overlooking the lake and is adjacent to Keeping Room with fireplace. Large Primary Bedroom on main has views of Lake Norman. Primary Bath has been renovated with granite counter tops and waterfall tiled shower. Plenty of room to entertain your guests with an incredible lower level living area with bedroom, full bath, second kitchen and family/recreation room with stone fireplace. Home is freshly painted throughout. The many upgrades includes two new hot water heaters, surveillance system, surround sound and landscape lighting.
|Type:||Single Family Residence|
|Virtual Tour:||Click here|
Based on information submitted to the MLS GRID as of 2023-03-21 18:00:00. All data is obtained from various sources and may not have been verified by broker or MLS GRID. Supplied Open House Information is subject to change without notice. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information. Some IDX listings have been excluded from this website.
Contact An Agent:
- Golf Courses on Lake Norman - August 5, 2022
- Lake Norman NC Sunset – Lake Norman Homes - August 4, 2022
- Lake Norman NC Home Market Changing? – Price Decreased in the past 7 days - August 4, 2022
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.